Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Giving Up and Learning to Love the Kindle

I was immediately suspicious of the Kindle. Anytime someone told me how much they loved how slim it was, how they could have so many books in one tiny little package, how it has “special ink technology,” I would squint my eyes and internally curse the day some Amazon execs dreamed up their precious e-reader.

I love books. I love going to the bookstore and perusing the new release shelves they put right in the front of the store, then scouring through the fiction racks looking for some hidden gem of a novel I’d missed before. I love the texture of the paper when I turn a page, the somewhat dusty smell of ink, and the weight of a book in my hands. I love lining all my favorite books up on a shelf, turning them this way and that, moving them around, and configuring them in the most aesthetically pleasing way I possibly can.

The Kindle threatened all of that.

And yet everyone seemed to have one! My ninety-year-old grandfather even has one. And I couldn’t help but think, what’s all the hubbub about? Where’s the appeal? I began researching the Kindle on the internet. I became a YouTube extraordinaire, a blogger aficionado, an online shopping sleuth. I knew all the ins and outs of Amazon’s reader. And I have to admit…I kind of wanted one.

I travel a lot, so the idea of packing one little device in my carry-on bag or backpack seemed a lot more appealing than trying to stuff in twelve pounds of individual books. A lot of the books I have to read for classes are available on the Kindle for cheaper than a hard copy (or even for free!). I also live about an hour away from my boyfriend, so when I go visit for a night, it’s annoying to lug a bunch of schoolwork with me. Plus, my aesthetic side loves some of the adorable Kindle cases out there.

The most appealing aspect, though (besides the reduced cost of books), was the ability to decide I wanted a book, download it, and start reading it about 30 seconds later. I go to school in the middle of nowhere (almost), so getting to a large bookstore that carries all of the new releases immediately is inconvenient, and I hate paying shipping and waiting several days for a book to arrive. Just think, the exact minute that a book becomes available, I can start reading it!

Sold.

It was a little pricey, but totally worth it. I’ve joined the ranks of Kindle lovers everywhere (and I mean everywhere; it’s like a horde). I happily packed my Kindle in my carry-on bag on my flight to France, all of the books I needed for homework and pleasure downloaded beforehand. My travel buddy, meanwhile, lugged around about 15 pounds of books…not fun for her.

Will I stop buying actual books to put on my shelf? Probably not, but for the meantime, I can see myself becoming very attached to this little piece of machinery.

No comments:

Post a Comment